Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Peanut Butter and Peanut Sauce

OK guys, thanks to Lindsey, we can all stop wishing that we had peanut butter here in Brazil. Now you can make your own! The recipe is so easy, it's healthier and cheaper than the store-bought stuff with all the preservatives, and you have more control over it, so you can get exactly the flavor that you want! I don't think I'll ever go back to Jiff, even if we move back to the US one day.

Lindsey and I made this peanut butter recipe together when I went to visit her. To show you just how easy it is, I'm going to type up the short version (hopefully to inspire you). Then, to give you visual inspiration, I'll put a step-by-step version with pictures below.  After that, I've even found a Thai peanut sauce recipe that you can make using your own homemade peanut butter! Look at you go!

So do you want the recipe for homemade peanut butter? Here it is:


Mix ground peanuts, canola oil, sugar, and salt in a blender, adding more and more of each ingredient, until you like it!

That's it!

OK, now with pictures:

Here's the bag of ground peanuts that we used:
The brand is Carreteiro, and you can ask at the store for "amendoim torrado e moĆ­do," which technically means toasted and ground peanuts. Yay!

Start off with 1/3 of the bag of the peanuts. We did this with a food processor. Lindsey can attest that a regular ol' blender is much better.

Add the sugar and the salt that you want. We suggest throwing in about 3 tablespoons of sugar and 1 tablespoon of salt, to start. 

Then add in some canola oil. Start off with about 1/4 or 1/3 of a cup.

As you blend, add in more canola oil to get it moving. You may have to stop the blender and manually mix it a bit in the beginning.

Just keep on mixing and tasting, mixing and tasting, adding in more sugar, salt, peanuts, and oil. "Do that dance," as Jim would say, and watch the mixture turn from crunchy to smooth.
and eventually:
So if you like your peanut butter to be on the crunchy side, you can mix it less, or put a higher percentage of peanuts (vs. oil).

Store it in your fridge. Lindsey says it's good for about a week, but I'd probably try to get away with keeping it longer:



So now, with that amazing peanut butter, you can make some of your own Thai peanut sauce! Serve it with some chicken, rice, and snow peas, and you'll ALMOST feel like you're back in the US (or, ya know, in Thailand).

I got this recipe from a combination of peanut sauce recipes on allrecipes.com. There are quite a few variations, so if you're feeling inspired, you can click that link to check them out and come up with your own version. Some add honey; some add fish sauce (not gonna happen in Brazil), etc.

Here's the one that I thought was the most doable and with the most consistent ingredients (they are to taste, just like with the peanut butter):


Peanut Sauce
Ingredients:

1/2 cup peanut butter
brown sugar (some recipes called for white sugar, some, no sugar)
soy sauce
red pepper flakes or chili sauce or cayenne pepper
garlic
sesame seeds/green onions for topping
white rice vinegar
water

Instructions:

Blend everything except the water. Add water until it's the consistency you want. (Some recipes said not to put water, so it's your call! EDIT EDIT: Don't add water! It may be because of the oil in the homemade peanut butter, but the peanut sauce turns this icky color and takes on a completely different consistency.)

Hooray! I hope this made you as happy as it made me.

8 comments:

  1. This is great news, because I just founds this recipe: http://userealbutter.com/2010/08/12/single-ingredient-ice-cream-recipe/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do almost the same thing, except I start with the roasted instead of the roasted and ground peanuts. That way I add less oil since the grounding releases the peanut's natural oils. I also don't add salt or sugar and it still tasted great to me. However, homemade peanut butter does not really work for baking, so I still need that good 'ole jar of Jiff around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU! Oh how I've missed pb!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was little we lived in Germany and they didn't have PB, I LOVED my mom's home made PB. Licking the bowl clean after the making was the best part about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love peanut butter and use the toasted ones. I remove the skins, a dull job. Then I chop them in the food processor. I use salt, oil and honey.

    I have successfully used this to make peanut butter cookies. No problems.

    ReplyDelete
  6. https://www.google.com.br/search?q=amendocrem&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=jk6iUbzWMIzs9ASnuIHYDA&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1414&bih=823

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just stumbled upon your blog today and it makes me really miss Brazil. My husband and I were there for 2 months in 2010 and haven't been back since. We both would love to make our lives permanent there but it is very difficult as neither of us are Brazilian and neither of us has a Bachelors to teach English, and we work for ourselves in the construction industry so cant even transfer through our jobs, alas, we wont give up. Anyways, this post makes me laugh because the only thing I really couldn't get used to was no peanut butter and its the thing I mention when people ask what I missed most about the US. It became my mission to find some (don't know why I didn't think about making some, duh). I explained it to everyone, "you know, mantega de amendoim?!?" I would get very confused looks, so then I would try to describe it...nope. Finally in a grocer in sao Paulo I was helped to find some. It was purchased for me by a friend who knew how badly I wanted some, but...it was GROSS! Almost like the stuff inside a reeses PB cup (which is great covered in chocolate, but not so great to spread on toast). Dry, crumbly, crystalline, and way too sweet. :( So seeing this post brought all those feelings back, hurray for you bringing PB to the poor sad American expats that so desperately need that creamy taste from home, at least, that's how I felt!

    ReplyDelete