Sunday, May 20, 2012

Pepperoni Lasagna Rolls

OMgggggg so last night I tried to buy the ingredients to make a pasta recipe that I saw on Pinterest, but when I got to the store I couldn't find half of the things and then I remembered that I'm in Brazil, trying to make an Americanified Italian recipe, and my brain exploded a bit. 


So I had to improvise, but I think my invention came out waaaay better than the original would have. 

I'm too lazy to take a pic and upload it so here's a pic from the internet. Mine kind of looked like this: 

picture credit here



If you make a lot, like I did, you can eat them as leftovers and also freeze them! You guys know I'm all about freezing food.
Ingredients: 

A stick of pepperoni (not sliced), like this.

A spaghetti sauce that you like, the thicker the better (if you want to go homemade, you can use my tomato sauce recipe, which is here).

Mozzarella cheese (buy an extra soft one, yum)

Ricotta cheese

Parmesan cheese (a fresh block that you grate yourself is better)

Lasagna pasta (the fresh stuff in the cold section by the yogurt and stuff is way tastier than the dry boxed stuff, but I don't know if it's a lot more expensive in the US. It won't have the traditional wave shape like the dry stuff.)

onion

garlic

spinach (it can be frozen)

Instructions:

1. Chop up the onions, garlic, and pepperoni together into small small pieces. I used a food processor.

2. Fry them all up in some oil (it'll be nice and greasy and fatty, yum)

3. Boil a little bit of water and throw the spinach in for about 5 mins. Chop it up (it can be in the food processor, too).

4. Shred all your cheeses (the best way to prepare the ricotta is to use a fork to smash it up, then to drizzle it with olive oil and mix)
  4a. Save some of your parmesean to put on top

5. Cover a big pan with some butter and with a bit of the tomato sauce

6. Build your lasagna rolls the way you'd build enchiladas
 a. Dip the piece of lasagna pasta into the sauce
 b. Put all of the ingredients in the middle: the pepperoni/garlic/onion mix, the three cheese, and the spinach
 c. Roll it up!

Here's a pic to give you an idea of how the process should look:
picture credit here



7. When you're done using up all the ingredients, you'll probably have some pepperoni fat at the bottom of the pan. You can be extra gluttonous and drizzle that over your uncooked rolls.

8. Drizzle the rest of the pasta sauce all over the rolls. Make them extra messy and delicious.

9. Sprinkle the parmesean cheese over the top of everything to create a crispier layer.

10. Bake for about 20 minutes at about 425, just to melt everything and heat it.

IT WAS DELICIOUS. I haven't been this pleased with something I've cooked for a while. 

I hope you like it!

1 comment: